Home > Press Coverage > Computer Generated Young Jesus From Image on Shroud

Computer Generated Young Jesus From Image on Shroud

April 27, 2015

image

Philip Willan writing in The Times:

Italian police are accustomed to “ageing” photographs of wanted gangsters to help them track down fugitive.

Now they have reversed the process to generate a photofit image of Jesus Christ as a child, using as their starting point the adult man captured in Turin’s famous shroud, believed by many Catholics to represent the face of the crucified Christ.

The computer-generated images were released to mark a two-month exhibition during which the 14-foot-long sheet, normally kept in a sealed container in a chapel next to Turin Cathedral, will remain on public display in the city. Pope Francis is due to visit . . .

Categories: Press Coverage
  1. April 27, 2015 at 2:01 pm

The more I look at this the more it reminds me of a cover of a Rush album.

2. April 27, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Interesting. I think they should have left the eyes closed to get the best effect.

• Angel
      April 27, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Yeah, but they changed the shape of his face from long and narrow to oval as a young man. John Kerry’s face is long and narrow and it was long and narrow when he was young.

Go to Google images and type in John Kerry, age 20

You will see the shape of his face was the same as a young man. He’s now 71.

Best,

3. Jim Carney
    April 29, 2015 at 5:56 pm

I wonder if this reverse aging took into account the fact that the face on the Shroud had been badly beaten and so can be expected to be swollen somewhat out of shape. Personally, I prefer the portrait painted by Akiane Kramarik at age 8 (!). Here’s a link to her website: http://www.akiane.com/store/ although you may have to do a little digging to find the “Prince of Peace” portrait. She claimed at the age of four to have met God and angels in heaven and later to have seen Jesus. The little boy in the book “Heaven is for Real” (also made into a movie) identified Akiane’s portrait as the one that looked the most like Jesus, whom he claimed to have seen in a near death experience. Thin reeds, perhaps, but Akiane’s talent is so prodigious that I am inclined to take her claims at face value. Personal preference, I suppose, but these Italian suggestions don’t appeal to me. In fact, I don’t think any of them look much like the Shroud image.

• Angel
      April 30, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Jim, Akiane Kramarik is as talented as Isabel Piczek. Yet, the image to which you refer (painting at age 8) reminds me more of a Brad Pit type photo…too handsome.

If Isaiah 53 references Jesus, the Shroud image would be more representative than Akiane’s painting.

Isaiah 53:2
      King James Bible
      “For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.”

I showed the Shroud facial image to two five year old little girls and only asked one question of them, “Who is this man?”

The first little girl said “George Washington” and the second girl (who was Latino) said Jesus.

Therefore, I will equate George Washington to the Isaiah 53 verse, “…and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.”

This is only my opinion. :)

Best,